Create Consistent, Logical Rules

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sojournerburns, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sojournerburns

Sojournerburns New Member

Currently not allowed on the server:

Racism.
    Hacking.
    Advertising.
    Speaking ill of staff.
    Speaking a different language in public chat, even though the majority of the chat butchers English anyway...
    Speaking too quickly. (Even if holding actual conversation, sometimes.)

Currently allowed (and ridiculously prevalent):

Prejudices based on: Orientation (this one gets encouraged by some of the staff because...?), Age, Sex, Gender, Religion, Disability
    Players encouraging players (not characters, not in game) to commit suicide.
    Players encouraging players to find and murder other players (not characters, not in game.)

So, are we going to pretend that this makes any sense and is not the product of a shortsighted and incomplete set of rules or could we see staff step up and actually make the environment at least vaguely safer and friendly? Circa thirty-two average games of League of Legends are less toxic than a minute on the global chat on Red between 7-9 EST.

Strawpoll about whether the community would like to see the rules reexamined.

http://strawpoll.me/3274043

#1 Sojournerburns, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. Love

Love Expert

I've made a post about this too. There is 0% logic in this, I completely agree. It makes no sense that the only thing that can't be made fun of is race. If we can make fun of ANYTHING else why exclude race? I'm not trying to say I agree we should be able to make fun of everything. But either everything is okay to make fun or, or nothing is. It literally makes no sense, I don't know where this idea came up from, but it's completely illogical.

3. Sojournerburns

Oh absolutely, Bounce. When I say that the only two options that any reasonable human being has is to either reform or remove the ban on racism, I'm trying to point out how stupid the second option would be and make people think a bit about the first.

4. zacymacy2

zacymacy2 Active Member

Sadly to say, I have seen many people do death threats, to me and others, not naming names yet, but no warning or anything was issued, the people who do death threats and related are close with staff.
    This is a growing problem and I await staff to reply to this issue.

And I do expect some flaming will occur but lets hope we can stay on topic.

5. islander98

islander98 Well-Known Member

I have no idea by what you mean by the prejudices thing but if someone is telling you to kill yourself just /ignore them and I have never seen the third one occur.

6. SanneARBY

SanneARBY Doing my job since 2k14

Me, as a mod, am having a hard time when I see people using sexuality as an insult, and they hate on people just because of something they can't help.

It goes against my ethics as a person, and I would LOVE to mute, kick, or ban for such horrible behaviour. But, I'm a mod, and therefore need to follow Origin's rules.

I agree with everybody who has this view, but if less than one third of the server has these views, it's sadly nearly impossible to change the rules.

Especially when some staff members are exactly that which you have named in the list. It makes it VERY hard to make a change.

So, I would if I could, but I can't.

Love likes this.
  7. Adulf_Hitler

Adulf_Hitler Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with this post.

I see people using a range of things to target other players and I don't agree with how the system works.
    The main one which gets me is people insulting others using cancer as an insult, examples such as (not naming names)

'Get cancer' & 'Hope your mum gets cancer' and so on, and it really makes me wonder how on a server this is simply ignored...

I am lucky enough to not have lost anyone close to me due to cancer but I know it affects so many people. I know this is the internet and people always say just ignore it or face the fact people always will be racist, sexist, etc.

I think they need to adjust the rules, although I think it is getting better, I have seen mods mute people for repetitive death threats and being continuously abusive.

At the end of the day it will always happen, and /ignore is always an option.

8. mr_bkninja

mr_bkninja Veteran

Just use /ignore for anybody that you don't want to hear from. Also can you explain more about the age thing? I don't really see how age is a bad thing.

islander98 likes this.
  9. islander98

I think the age thing has to do with staff applications lol

zacymacy2 likes this.
  10. zacymacy2

zacymacy2 Active Member

Age= Young age makes your voice squeaky, and your not as smart as from being older.

But calling someone a squeaker wouldn't be a mute on any server.

11. mr_bkninja

mr_bkninja Veteran

Eh age isn't bad at all.

12. mr_bkninja

mr_bkninja Veteran

Ah ok

13. Jordyboy92

Jordyboy92 Sausage Muncher

well I think all mods (On Blue) are doing an amazing job and no gender jokes are being made is this on red, I have seen no problem on blue so I'm confused.

EDIT: FYI being cancerous and cancer is two different things.

14. Sojournerburns

To clarify what I mean by the prejudices thing...

I can be muted or kicked for spamming the word which gets chatfiltered to "Sugar Plums."

However, someone can go on a thirty minute rant about doing various vile and painful things to "faggots" "queers" etc etc etc and have before. They can also sit around and babble some really sexist shit. You won't see me on the front lines of any ridiculous massive Political Correctness campaign, but I've watched players harass the shit out of people, in ways that are often incredibly illegal.

I care less about brief trash talk before/during/after pvp or raiding or even just a bit of fire between players ("You can't split *SHIT*, assholes... blah blah blah" "I could split your base in my sleep moron," kind of thing) than I do sustained harassment based on prejudices or someone telling people to kill themselves or actually asking others to kill a person. The fact that these things can and have gone on on this server (admittedly mostly on Red, Blue is sometimes tamer) is fairly disgusting. There comes a point where it's almost a joke to enforce the "no racism" rule when the staff turns away from every other form of prejudice that exists.

Not that, as many mods above have pointed out, it's their fault. It's not, they're mods. They're following orders. You'll often and probably often HAVE seen me try to engage them publicly on the complete lack of logic behind the rule while ignoring all other forms of prejudice but when it comes down to it I don't blame them. The honest fact is that given the sheer amount of upset folks constantly accusing the entire server of hacking or asking questions that two seconds with Google and an enter button could handle... mods here work hard. So know, mods, if you ever see me in a crap mood talking about how that particular rule is bassackwards with the rest of the whole wide world of prejudice free and clear, it's never an attack on you guys. You're doin' what you've got to do.

15. rich3331

rich3331 Goodmin

I agree with this topic, but general trash talking should be allowed, otherwise you lose the fun in factions.
    Eg. I will split your base in 2 and so on.

16. islander98

Faggot and queer have became insults not deragatory terms to gay people. I forgot what celebrity said this but i remeber the quote "I don't call people faggot for being gay, i call people faggot if they are being a faggot." Its just like how ass was the name for a donkey and it became an insult. Now address the rest of the predjudices please.

17. Sojournerburns

If you would support that prejudice with such a flimsy excuse you would support any of them. I'd rather come to someone to didn't try to justify prejudice based on the words of some anonymous celebrity as if that made it right.

If a celebrity supporting a prejudice makes a prejudice right, I think I have some quotes by Ted Nugent to support racism.

Also, some by Charles Manson to support murder.

And let me assure you, as a pansexual man, those are definitely insults to the LGBT community, especially the way in which they are used on this server, very often paired with descriptions of violence, sexual assault or sexual activities.

#17 Sojournerburns, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  18. islander98

Well i provided other reasons which you choose not to counter and you refused to provide proof of the other prejudices so i will assume i won this argument.

19. Sojournerburns

This isn't an argument, Islander. This is a discussion about how to form logical rules.

You have proven yourself unwilling to engage in the use of logic. You compared a term defining an animal turning into an insult to a word used to insult the LGBT community being used as a WIDER insult. The implication, Islander, is that being Gay/Faggot/Queer is bad because Gay/Faggot/Queer people ARE bad. That is still an insult to the LGBT community. On this server it is often paired with threats of violence, sexual assault or graphic descriptions of sexual activity, meaning it is FIRMLY tied to prejudiced based on orientation.

Your justification for this prejudice was a badly written piece of vomit by some anonymous celebrity. It holds no logic, no meaning nor are they even particularly persuasive, moving words. They were just a half-hearted attempt to protect a prejudice... and one that fell rather flat. I have addressed the rest of the prejudices already, save for the one based on religion. If you cannot see what I mean in reference to that then you clearly don't observe chat.

If staff ultimately chooses to not consider what I'm saying despite the support of multiple mods and members of the community, I'd love to see it done with some intelligence. Not by someone who thinks it's a competition.

If what is being requested is screenshots of this going down, give me a day or two. Once Red returns to full speed, I promise I'll have it. Just this morning I witnessed someone threatening to rape another player.

20. islander98

Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.